Print this page
Tuesday, 05 April 2011 07:22

Grey High Rugby Festival : Day 2 Results and Reports

The second day of the Grey Rugby Festival will again be remembered for some close encounters as well as some runaway victories.

Graeme College playing in their first match of the festival, drew first blood against Parktown when wing Oneke Masoka scored. Masoka’s try was converted to give Graeme a 7-0 half-time lead. Parktown fought back in the second half when captain Marvin Bosman scored. Graeme hang on for a 7-5 victory at the final whistle.

Kearsney College proved too strong for their opponents as they swept aside Itembelihle. Kearsney scored two tries in the first half for a 12 -0 lead at the break. Kearsney scored a further three tries in the second half to win the encounter 33-0. Tries were scored by lock Chad Myburg, James Lambert, captain Robert du Preez, Daniel du Preez and Dayne Kennedy.

Queens College defeated Westville by 19 points to 10, despite being outscored by two tries to one. In the end Queens were able to capitalise on the Westville errors, which saw Queens convert four crucial penalties to ensure the win.

Dale College, celebrating their 150th this year, were again value for money as they beat Durban High School 27-15 after leading 21-3 at the break. Tries for Dale were scored by Malwande Mhambe (1) and fullback Siviwe Soyizwapi (2). Scrumhalf Bangi Kobese succeeded with 3 conversions and 2 penalties.

For Durban High School, wing Brendan Cope scored, while fly half, Le Roux van Zyl scored 10 points with a goal and a penalty.


Border schools continued their great run of form, with Selborne College seeing off Hilton College’s challenge. Hilton’s centre, Thomas Hattingh scored first to give Hilton an early lead. Selborne prop Ryan Germishuys then scored two converted tries, before the Selborne no.8 , Siphesihle Punguzwa, scored to give Selborne a 19-7 half time lead. Selborne continued their dominance into the second half with a try by wing Kane Amos-Brown and a second for Punguzwa. Hilton College did not give up and finished off the game with two tries of their own, leaving the final score at 31-17 to Selborne.

KES moved into overdrive as they swept aside the Michaelhouse side to record a massive 61-3 victory.

KES scored nine tries in total, eight of which were converted, while Michaelhouse’s points came from a penalty.

Bishops bounced back from their narrow lose to Selborne on Saturday, with a hard fought victory over Maritzburg College. Both sides scored three tries each, but an additional conversion and a penalty meant that Bishops won the game by 22 points to 17.

Pretoria Boys won by the narrowest of margins as they defeated a game Daniel Pienaar side by 20-19.

Pretoria Boys went up 7 – 0 when Rossouw de Waal scored the first try of the game. de Waal increased the lead to 10 points with a penalty later in the half. The lead changed hands before half time when Daniel Pienaar scored two converted tries, the first by hooker Frans Gerber and the second by fullback Mbembe Payi. Pretoria Boys wing, Richmond Collins, scored in the second half to put Pretoria Boys back in the lead at 15-14. Greg Colin scored for Pretoria Boys to stretch their lead to 20-14. However Daniel Pienaar refused to give in and replied with a final try of their own courtesy of flank Justin Benn. The conversion failed and Pretoria Boys walked off with the victory.

Louis Botha put their narrow loss to Michaelhouse behind them as they recorded a 30 – 5 victory over Nico Malan after leading 13-0 at the break.

Grey High School, with the support of a partisan crowd came back from a 6-10 half time deficit to record a 19-10 win over Jeppe. Grey scored the first points with a Jan Enslin penalty. Jeppe replied with a penalty of their own, behalf a second Enslin put Grey back in front. Seconds before half time Jeppe wing, Vuyani Sabuza scored a try. The conversion was successful and Jeppe lead 10-6 at the break.

Grey gained control in the second half, with Enslin slotting a penalty before Grey centre Byron Wescott edged over the line. Enslin converted and was later successful with a penalty to secure the win for Grey.

Related items