Print this page
Sunday, 09 June 2013 02:00

Rugby: Match Report - Selborne v St Andrew's College

Ben Dovey Scoring Ben Dovey Scoring

St Andrew’s College faced their second long away trip in as many weeks as they travelled to East London to face Selborne College. East London has not been a happy hunting ground for St Andrew’s College and it was good to see the other sides step up to the plate and set the tone early.

As the first team were about to kick off the wind suddenly picked up and was swirling around the ground making conditions difficult for rugby. Selborne hit the ground running and applied early pressure through good pick and goes by their forwards and some clever kicks. They converted this pressure after their scrumhalf tapped a quick penalty and dived over next to the uprights, 7-0 to Selborne. St Andrew’s College playing into the wind battled for field position, but once they achieved this they applied some pressure of their own. This eventually resulted in a try for winger Ben Dovey after a good break by scrumhalf Jason Baggott. Ryan Horne converted the difficult kick and the scores were tied up again at 7 all. A St Andrew’s College indiscretion would hand the lead back to Selborne after their flyhalf converted the penalty, but St Andrew’s College went back on the attack and after a number of efforts at the Selborne line fell just short St Andrew’s College were awarded a penalty, Horne converted and the teams went into the break at 10 all.

The second half started much the same as the first with Selborne launching attack after attack on the St Andrew’s College line, but the defence held firm and so did the discipline as St Andrews did not concede. Finally College got off their line and began to play some good rugby as they passed the ball around and began to counter attack off stray Selborne kicks. One of these counter attacks led to a great break by captain Sintu Manjezi and the quick ruck allowed Lelo Mama a mismatch as he stepped the prop and finished brilliantly in the corner. Ryan Horne converted again and St Andrew’s College took the lead for the first time 17-10. Although St Andrew’s College played some brilliant rugby in this period they failed to convert it into more points and found themselves defending as the game drew to a close. Selborne attacked the St Andrew’s College line mercilessly and eventually the pressure paid off a the left winger dived over 15m in from touch. Time was up and the resultant conversion would mean that the match ended in a draw.

A brave effort by the 1st XV and great to see them back to their old style of play.

Related items