SA School Sports



Last updateTue, 04 Dec 2018 12pm

   Join our newsletter here:      


Back You are here: Home Sports Rugby Eastern Cape Rugby: Match Report - SAC v Grey High School
Tuesday, 28 May 2013 16:06

Rugby: Match Report - SAC v Grey High School

The St Andrew’s College team faced a stern test on Saturday 25 May, 2013, as they took on Grey High School from Port Elizabeth. The match drew a large crowd and the setting was perfect for this big derby.


greyhsThe match started at a frantic pace as Grey High School repelled an early St Andrew’s College attack and then launched into phase after phase of attack of their own. The Grey side was magnificent in attack moving the ball and creating width as they produced what seemed to be an almost flawless first 20 minutes. By the time the dust had settled St Andrew’s College were well and truly behind the eight ball as Grey High School had run in 3 magnificent tries during the period and St Andrew’s College had hardly touched the ball. Finally St Andrew’s College got their hands on the ball and with the score at 19-0 threw everything they had at the Grey High School side. But the Grey High School defence held firm as St Andrew’s College got held agonisingly close on a number of occasions. Just before half time Grey High School forced a penalty and duly converted to stretch their half time lead to 22-0.

The second half started with Grey holding all the cards, the St Andrew’s College side would have to throw caution to the wind if they wished to pull this one out of the fire. Unfortunately this led to more uncharacteristic mistakes by an under par St Andrew’s College side that allowed Grey High School to continue dictating play in the second half and it would be Grey who drew first blood capitalising on a St Andrew’s College error to break away and score stretching their lead to 29-0. This seemed to awaken St Andrew’s College from their slumber and they started to string some better passages of play together. First Tyler Paul would barge over from the back of a driving maul to narrow the lead. However all the hard work had come to nothing as minutes later Grey High School would scoop up yet another dropped St Andrew’s College pass and sprint away to restore their lead. Grey High School kicked another penalty before St Andrew’s College claimed another consolation try through 8th man Stuart Stopforth.

The Final score was 14-39 to Grey High School, deserved winners on a day when they produced some outstanding rugby. I am sure the St Andrew’s College side will bounce back as they are certainly a better team than the performance they produced on Saturday.

Related items