SA School Sports



Last updateTue, 04 Dec 2018 12pm

   Join our newsletter here:      


Back You are here: Home Sports Rugby Eastern Cape Rugby: Marlow Beat Framesby in a Heart Stopper!
Tuesday, 04 June 2013 14:16

Rugby: Marlow Beat Framesby in a Heart Stopper!

Marlow beats Framesby in a heart stopping match!


One the 1st June, 2013 Marlow, with 11 teams took on Hoërskool Framesby.

The match took place in Port Elizabeth. Marlow’s team played good constructive rugby and managed to win seven of the matches.

In the main match Marlow sneaked home to beat Framesby 31-30 in a fast paced match that see-sawed as both teams played hard for the win.

A feature of the match was the physicality of the match that saw both sides willing to take the game to each other and the powerful defensive play was impressive.

Marlow scored the first points when Francois Swanepoel, the outside centre, went over to score a try under the poles. Peet Schoeman, the inside centre, broke the line and beautifully put Francois in to a gap. Dirk van Wyk, the full back, converted the try.

After this initial exchange both teams started to turn up the heat. Framesby used their forwards to good advantage around the break down point. This led to them gaining good momentum that was rewarded with two converted tries. More points came for Framesby as their flyhalf , Erns Stapelberg, slotted two penalties.

Marlow tried to get some movements going and attacked Framesby but they just could not round off some good attempts as the Framesby defence stood rock solid. At the break Framesby were well in command and leading 20-7.

In the second half both sides looked to finish strongly. Framesby took advantage and scored another converted try and were now firmly in the driving seat leading 27-7. The Wolramme changed tactics and at every opportunity used their forwards and back to spread the ball wider.

This tactic led to one of the best comebacks by a school team this year. Marlow scored their second try through some brilliant play by there back line. Peet Schoeman broke through the defence again and found support from Dirk van Wyk the full back who joined the backline. Chuiner van den Heever, the left wing also was looking for work on the right side and put Michael Botha through a massive opening. Botha rounded off the move to score Marlow’s second try.

Marlow kept the ball amongst the forwards and won plenty of territory. Hendrick Venter, the Marlow scrumhalf, dived and scored after a good break around the maul. The try was converted by Dirk van Wyk. Framesby struggled to keep up with the pace but managed a long range 55m penalty by Stapeberg to take the score to 30-19 in Framesby’s favour.

This seemed to fire up Marlow even more and Peet Schoeman, who had a great match, dived over the line for Marlow’s forth try. Peet tested the Framesby defence again and beat five players to finish off the move. The try was converted and with the score at 30-26 both sides put in a massive effort in the last five minutes.

Heini Brumm set up a Marlow lineout after finding touch with a penalty right in the corner and Marlow’s forwards did the rest, driving from the lineout to allow Marco Blom to score a great hooker’s try. 31-30 and Marlow had the victory.

Related items