SA School Sports

1976 Kearsney screen 728x90 02 KB



Last updateTue, 04 Dec 2018 12pm

   Join our newsletter here:      


Back You are here: Home Sports Rugby Rugby: Kearsney Easter Festival Reports and Scores from Day 3
Monday, 17 April 2017 19:08

Rugby: Kearsney Easter Festival Reports and Scores from Day 3






After 10 minutes neither Kearsney nor Queen’s College, in the final game of the 2017 festival, had wrested control of the game, as though they were feeling one another out. Going into the second quarter Keith Kroutz was successful with a penalty and a short while later a second longer penalty for Queen’s to take the lead 6-0.

Towards the end of the first half, with Kearsney looking more dangerous with ball in hand, they moved it across field to the left where James Sutherland made metres to dive over in the corner. This took Kearsney into the break 5-6 behind.

Early in the second half Kearsney captain Dylan Richardson cut through defences from broken play to score; converted by Sutherland to wrest the lead 12-7. From a line-out close to the Kearsney line, Queen’s formed a rolling maul and rambled over with hooker Gareth Heidtmann scoring. Kroutz had gone off injured, so replacement kicker Kenan Richards slotted the angled conversion and take back the lead 13-12.

The lead changed once again as Kearsney flyhalf Jacques Odendaal burst through a dive over under the posts. Sutherland converted and Kearsney led 19-13. This lead was extended five minutes from the final whistle, when Brendan Albertse dived over to take Kearsney into a 24-13 lead.

It was fitting that the home side won their second game to end the festival which had produced some top class rugby on each day.

Point scorers:

Kearsney: Tries: Sutherland, Odendaal, Richardson, Albertse; Conversions: Sutherland (2)

Queen’s: Tries: Heidtmann; Conversion: Richards; Penalties: Kroutz (2)



Neither Selborne nor Monument, playing in the penultimate game of the festival, had lost a game and thus another mouth-watering contest was expected. Selborne dominated territory for the first 10 minutes but David Coetzer missed a penalty for Selborne to go ahead. When Monument did get into the Selborne half, they had an opportunity to take a lead when awarded a penalty, but this also went wide.

Monument maintained pressure and a good line kick went out 5m from the Selborne line. The ruck that developed from the lineout saw Monument turn over possession and the ball was picked up by scrumhalf Tinus Combrink who darted over. Jonathan Viljoen made certain of the kick and Monument led 7-0.

Within the last minute before halftime Monnas hooker Morne Brandon went over, following a lineout set up by a good run down the touchline by Viljoen. The conversion was wide but the Krugersdorp team went into the drinks break leading 12-0.

Up until this game, Selborne had been dominant but now they had a massive half ahead of them. They would have to be the next side to score.

Ten minutes into the half, Coetzer was pinpoint from a penalty midfield, putting the ball out just short of the tryline. A rolling maul was set up from the lineout and hooker Mark Venter went over in the pile of bodies. Coetzer split the uprights with his conversion and Selborne were back in the game 7-12 behind.

Monument maintained their structures and used the ball to good effect. When the ball came back from a ruck it was moved down the line and fullback Dandre Prinsloo got over the corner after a determined run. This was very well converted by Viljoen to increase the lead to 19-7.

Selborne pressed and set up a penalty 20m out. From a succeeding ruck Coetzer broke, and passed inside to lock Stephan Nieuwenhuizen who went over. Coeter uncharacteristically missed the easy conversion, leaving the score 19-12. It meant Monument had done enough to remain unbeaten at the festival.

Point scorers:

Selborne: Tries: Venter, Nieuwenhuizen; Conversion: Coetzer

Monument: Tries: Brandon, Combrink, Prinsloo; Conversions: Viljoen (2)




This was a game that many were looking forward to as both Glenwood and Hoerskool Noord-Kaap had shown they wanted to move the ball rapidly. They did not disappoint and in a thrilling game with good defence on both sides, only one try a piece was scored in the first half, but it certainly was not dull.

Noord-Kaap was first on the board after 12 minutes, when a long pass found their fullback Cameron Hufke, one of the standout players at the festival. He broke through the defence, passing to wing Maurice Amerika who forced his way over the line. He was successful and the Kimberley side led 7-0.

Wing and captain Morne van Rensburg put Glenwood on the board with a penalty. A good attacking move with scrumhalf Jaden Hendrikse, centre Jacques Conradie scored. Van Rensburg had a successful, for Glenwood to lead 10-7.

Noord-Kaap came back and were awarded a penalty quite a long way out which Hufke put through the posts to take the sides into the break at 10-all.

Just three minutes into the second half, pacy Glenwood wing Siyanda Cele rounded the defence to dot down under the posts making an easy two-pointer for Van Rensburg; and a 17-10 lead.

Again Noord-Kaap pressed and were rewarded when, after forwards had made a number of attempts and been thwarted, the ball went down the line across the field, finding Hufke on the outside. He dived over in the corner, but could not convert from the touchline. However, the gap had narrowed to 15-17.

Glenwood then struck back and Cele used his pace to go over in the corner for his second try and take the scoreboard to 22-15.

With turnover a plenty, play moved from end to end and touchline to touchline. Noord-Kaap came within 2m of scoring but Glenwood defended well. Eventually from a quick tap penalty, the ball was passed to a charging Conrad van Aswegen and after attempting his bullocking runs a number of times, he burst over. A difficult conversion was just wide, but it became 20-22 with two minutes remaining.

Glenwood were awarded a penalty just on the halfway line and fullback Rynard Jonker closed the excellent game with a further three points and a 25-20 win.

After their exciting match, a delighted Noord-Kaap were presented with a new award: the Standard Bank trophy for the side playing the most attractive rugby at the festival.

Point scorers:

Glenwood: Tries: Conradie, Cele (2); Conversions: Van Rensburg (2); Penalties: Van Rensburg,, Jonker

Noord-Kaap: Tries: Hufke, Van Aswegen, Amerika; Conversion: Hufke; Penalty: Hufke





The wind had dropped to a breeze but was still blowing downfield. Dale were playing into the breeze with HTS Middelburg having a slight advantage.

The HTS forwards were the stronger unit and it showed early on as Middelburg scored two unanswered tries. Dale however came back towards the end of the half scoring two tries.

The first Middelburg try was scored by Andries Koen who, after a wrap around, found a gap and scored under the poles. Morne Sonnekus was successful adding the extra points. Five minutes later HTS were awarded a penalty 5m from the Dale line. Middelburg tapped and formed a rolling maul which got over and flank Henco van Heerden came up with the ball. Sonnekus was again successful with the kick and HTS Middelburg led 14-0 and were looking dangerous.

Dale consolidated and in the last 10 minutes of the half they fed on scraps, but kept HTS in their own half. From a ruck 20m out, impressive No 8 Thandile Mpangeva burst out going over for their first try. The conversion was wide but the Dalians were back in the game.

This gave them added confidence and from broken play a toe forward bounced favourably and prop Sibongile Kampi was quick to dive on the rolling ball in the in-goal area. This time Dale College captain Aphelele Fassi made no mistake and the sides crossed with HTS Middelburg having a slender 14-12 lead.

The second half was cut and thrust by both sides as they played mainly in midfield with first one side attacking, being rebuffed, and then the other side attacking, but neither reaching the tryline.

With just over 10 minutes remaining wing Andrico Johannes false-footed the defence and running diagonally across field was brought down just short of the tryline. Kampi, following him, picked up the ball and went over for a try, much to the delight of the Dalian supporters. Fassi converted and it was Dale that had taken a 19-14 lead.

With a 45m penalty, Fassi added another three points so HTS would hasveto score twice if they were to win the game.

Middelburg did come back and from a good passing movement through the hand of backs and forwards, found Van Heerden on the outside. He dived over in the corner for his second try. A brilliant touchline conversion by Sonnekus brought HTS to 21-22 behind with just a minute remaining. Dale held on for an exciting end to this good game.

Point scorers:

HTS Middelburg: Tries: Van Heerden (2), Koen; Conversions: Sonnekus (3)

Dale College: Tries: Mpangeva, Kampi (2); Tries: Fassi (2); Conversion: Fassi





The second match saw two teams, Framesby from Port Elizabeth and Dr EG Jansen from Boksburg, neither of which had yet won a game at the festival, keen for a win. EG Jansen were the favourites and with the wind blowing behind them, the early advantage was with the Boksburg team.

Most of the possession though was with the Jansen players and it was prop forward Brandon Becker who rumbled over close to the uprights. A good conversion by flyhalf Dylan Schwartz gave them a seven-point lead.

The longer the half progressed the more confident Framesby became. Midway through the half flank Desmick Kleinbooi made a break passing to centre and captain Julian Kleyn who went over. The successful conversion took the score to 7-each.

Framesby were running the EG Jansen defence from touchline to touchline. It was again Kleinbooi who made a break down the left touchline, and his determined run of 40 metres saw him dive over in the corner. This gave the Eastern Cape team a useful 12-7 lead and the knowledge that they would now have the wind behind them.

The backs were full of running and when centre JP Greyling received the ball he burst through a half gap and, with defenders on his back, managed to dive over. This gave Framesby a 17-7 lead.

Grayson Ditlow, playing on the wing, was quick to pick up a loose ball and get over in the corner. A good conversion by Schwartz too the lead to 24-7. Framesby fullback Lindsay Potgieter got on to the scoreboard when he counter-attacked after a tackle and sprinted to score in the corner. Framesby looked like definite winners, leading 29-7.

EG Jansen pulled themselves together and two tries, five minutes apart, put them back into the game. The first was by centre Keenan Oelofse and the second by fullback Franco van Eeden. Both were converted by Schwartz. With four minutes remaining EG Jansen were a converted try behind.

Most of the remaining play took place between the two 22m lines as neither side could score, but it was Framesby that was elated with their 29-21 victory.

Point scorers:

Hoerskool Framesby: Tries: Greyling, Potgieter, Kleyn, Kleinbooi, Ditlow; Conversions: Van Rensburg (2)

Dr EG Jansen: Tries: Becker, Oelofse, Van Eeden; Conversions: Schwartz (3)




A blustery wind welcomed the players on to the Stott field for the first match of the final day of the Standard Bank Kearsney Easter Rugby Festival. In the blustery conditions kicking for points became difficult. Four kicks in succession were missed, two penalty kicks and a conversion by the Pretoria lads and a conversion by Drostdy.

HTS Drostdy forwards dominated at the breakdown hence their backline had more possession. When PBHS did win ball, mistakes presented any meaningful advance.

The first half was a stop-start affair with one serious injury when a Pretoria Boys High player was stretched off, taking about six minute of the running time, and a second head cut to their hooker, with play waiting for him to be bandaged.

However, it was two tries scored by the two Drostdy locks, Bronlee Mouries and Heinrich Naude that gave the Western Cape team their points. Mouries use his 114kgs to force his way over. This try was converted by fullback Cohen Jasper to give them a 12-0 halftime lead.

The PBHS conversion was close to the touch line, after a try by lock Kgala Mothomogolo, following a quick penalty which was moved quickly to Mothomogolo who was unmarked on the outside. The score remained at 12-5 for the next 10 minutes.

Drostdy won the ball at the ruck and fullback Jasper used his pace down the short side to go over in the corner, but missed the conversion to extend their lead to 17-5.

The second half was much more evenly contested with the Pretoria lads stepping up and winning more of both possession and territory. Their defence was better. However, with just minutes to play, PBHS won a lineout on their own line, but it was ripped away by Drostdy. They passed to hooker Stefan Schwartz who caught the defence napping, going over in the corner. It gave Drostdy a 22-5 lead.

Romeo Eksteen, the regular scrumhalf, had come on and he galvanised Drostdy. He made a break leaving the Pretoria defence in tatters, scoring under the posts. This time Jasper made no mistake, to leave the Western Cape team 22-5 winners.

Point Scorers:

HTS Drostdy: Tries: Mouries, Naude, Jasper, Eksteen; Conversion: Jasper

Pretoria Boys: Try: Mothomogolo





Related items