SA School Sports



Last updateTue, 04 Dec 2018 12pm

   Join our newsletter here:      


Back You are here: Home Sports Hockey Eastern Cape Hockey: Match Report - Selborne v Grey High School
Wednesday, 14 August 2013 10:34

Hockey: Match Report - Selborne v Grey High School

The Xerox Selborne 1st XI capped a great night for their school’s hockey when they came out on top on a wet and chilly Friday evening at Grey High School by a score of 2-1. Following excellent wins by their U14A and U16A teams, the Selbornians were determined to finish their outstanding season with something that had never been achieved before, a victory for the 1st team at the Grey Astro. The last Selborne success in PE had been a 4-0 win in 2005 before Grey laid their own turf at the school.



The match was played at a fast pace and produced a good standard of hockey throughout the 60 minutes. Selborne probably had a slight edge for the first 20 minutes and half-way through this period took the lead with a well-struck penalty-corner by captain Sarvesh Naidoo. It did not take Grey long to equalize when, somewhat against the run of play, they converted a penalty-corner of their own. The match was then delayed by a floodlight failure and when play resumed 10 minutes from half-time, fortunes changed in that Grey began to control more of the play and test the Selborne defence, which stood up well and, with Naidoo and Alex Penhall prominent, absorbed the Grey pressure without any panic.


In the second half, both sides threw everything into the game and the commitment and work-rate shown by both Selborne and Grey was something to admire. Play swung from end-to-end in rapid succession with both teams coming close without

finding a way of finishing their attacks until in the 17th minute, Selborne were awarded a penalty-corner and, after the ball had moved left, Dylan Billingham converted with a well-placed slap into the far corner.


There was plenty of excitement in the remainder of the game as Grey tried desperately to close the gap and the Selborne team worked tirelessly to contain the Grey efforts and threaten with counter-attacks of their own. As the clock was ticking down, Grey had one final thrust at the Selborne circle and the home crowd erupted when a penalty-corner was awarded seconds before the hooter. The Selborne supporters held their breath as the ball was injected and then jumped for joy along with their players when Grey mis-trapped onto the stopper’s foot and the final whistle sounded.


It had been a superb game of schoolboy hockey played in a fine sporting spirit and it was wonderful to see the players of these two great hockey schools gather together as a group on the field to give their respective war-cries and exchange shirts. For the Selborne players, it was an emotional moment and, especially for the 8 squad members playing their final game for the school, an evening that will live long in their memories.



Related items